Sunshine Deli is just amazing. I know I’ve talked about them a lot already, but each time I go, I find new surprises.
This time, it was Oaxacan tamales (oaxaqueños). While these are not the best Oaxacan tamales I’ve ever had, just the fact that Sunshine Deli in White Plains sells them puts them in a different category altogether. I can’t remember what other tamales they have, I haven’t tried them yet, but I believe they also had rajas con queso, chicken and pork.
Anyhow, for anyone willing to venture there, here’s my summary of what to order:
- Cochinita Pibil. (achiote paste rubbed pork shoulder, roasted in banana leaves). I’ve only seen them there twice in the 10 or so times I’ve been there, but if they have them, DEFINITELY get them. Awesome.
- Al pastor. It’s thin, deep-red chile/adobo marinated pork that is roasted on a vertical spit. It’s accompanied with pineapple. Very good.
- Asada. Tasty beef, accompanied either by guacamole or sliced avocado, depending on the day. Good.
- Carnitas. Quite good, though not as good as Los Gemelos in Port Chester or Michoacano in New Rochelle.
- Chorizo. This was just OK in my opinion. Could be better.
- Pollo. Also just OK, but it depends on what kind of chicken they’ve made that day.
- Quesadilla con huitlacoche. Quesadilla made with corn masa, filled with oaxacan cheese (i think at least) and that wonderful inky black huitlacoche. I don’t know of another place around that sells anything with huitlacoche (the black truffle-like fungus that grows on corn).
- Albondigas. Mexican meatballs in a rich chipotle-based broth. Excellent. These are the traditional mexican meatballs – with rice and hard boiled egg. Very satisfying on a cold day.
- Oaxacan tamales. See above, but these are a treat. They aren’t superb, but they are the only ones to be found anywhere outside of brooklyn and queens.
- Huaraches. Their huaraches are good, but not as great as some of the other foods there.
- Tortas. These too are good. I like their carnitas torta, but, like the carnitas tacos, I think you can find better tortas around. But still very good.
This comes with anything you buy, but their house salsa is a great smoky chipotle salsa. Awesome stuff with deep flavor. Got some kick, but not overwhelming and lots of complexity. Great with everything they sell.
Here’s the address:
31 Lake St, White Plains, NY 10603, USA
[Originally posted on Chowhound]